PO Box 14707
Portland, OR 97293
Hi! I'm a software engineer and systems administrator specializing in web applications and release management. I've built web applications used
by thousands of customers while managing all of the quirks that go with it: scaling legacy code, streamlining development by creating in-house
APIs, working with the product team to maintain a consistent GUI, building development and QA systems, and helping to maintain the production
environment. I've been using Perl, Linux, FreeBSD, MySQL, and Apache for over a decade, and have recently become a big fan of Python and
fun as the act of working on them.
Here's a list of my previous experience.
Senior Systems Engineer
November 2013 - Present
- Primary operations support for the Wufoo product (http://wufoo.com).
- Helping support development and production environments using OpenStack, VMware, KVM, and bare metal systems on Dell hardware.
- Supporting Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows back-end systems for multiple products.
- Participating in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Responsible for architecture and day-to-day operations of a 500GB/day Splunk installation.
- Ran the day-to-day operations of the Portland colocation presence.
- Defined and developed a custom virtualization strategy with KVM, bash, MySQL, and ZFS.
- Developed configuration management system using ansible (-pull and -vault).
November 2012 - Present
- Providing custom software solutions and hardware support.
- Community work: Maintainer of the Yubico FreeBSD ports
(found at http://ports.mjslabs.com).
An example of a public software project written for a client: https://github.com/c0sco/bounded
June 2011 - November 2012
- Supported security and privacy related auditing, research, and product development primarily based around web, mobile, and networking technologies.
- Managed the development environment for all products using Git, BIND, Apache, MySQL, ssh, ipfw, dovecot and squid on FreeBSD 8.2.
An example of research done on persistent tracking cookies: http://samy.pl/research/KMResearch-SamyKamkar.pdf
Culver City, CA
November 2006 - June 2011
- Worked with the product and systems teams to design new features to satisfy requirements of new software releases and ensure availability of technical resources to guarantee project success.
- Designed back-end systems for the PBXtra and trixbox Pro products including scaling and performance enhancements in Perl with Apache, MySQL, and memcached.
- Managed code releases using Subversion to ensure code was tagged, sent to QA, and released to alpha, beta, and production servers.
- Collaborated with the systems team to automate common infrastructure tasks, provide coverage for the CentOS infrastructure, and develop business processes.
A video tutorial of the Fonality 5 product that my team and I worked on can be found at mjslabs.com/video/fonality5.mp4 (37 megabytes).
A video tutorial of the FindMe feature that I designed can be found at mjslabs.com/video/findme.mp4 (14 megabytes).
Computer Information Systems Analyst
Computer Resource Consulting, ITSS, Stanford University
February 2002 - November 2006
- Provided hardware and software technical support for OS X, Sun, and Windows 2000/XP workstations, laptops and servers.
- Specced and built custom hardware solutions running Linux and OpenBSD to fill the needs of specific departments and schools.
- Maintained workstation and network security with deployment of BigFix Enterprise, Spysweeper, Symantec Antivirus, and Microsoft SUS.
- Kept clients informed of campus-related IT changes and new products and services.
- Routed client requests to appropriate help desks for non-supported or out of scope applications.
An example of a utility I developed to fix a specific E-mail application can be found at
Technical Support / Business Process Reengineering
Real Estate/Site Operations, IBM Corp.
San Jose, CA
November 1997 - February 2002
- Managed a hybrid OS/2, Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 workstation and server network using TCP/IP and NetBIOS over Token Ring.
- Maintained an inventory of hardware using Lotus 123, Approach and Notes.
- Provided software and hardware technical support on and off-site.
- Developed web-enabled databases using Linux, Apache, DB2 and Perl for internal department use.
- Streamlined monthly operations reports using templates and macros.
References available on request.
You can find me on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattstofko